Beyond Basics; Taking the Next Steps in your Practice
With Jay Cohen
WHEN: Saturday, October 22nd, 2:30-4:30 pm
COST: $20 thru Oct. 21st | $25 drop-in Day Of Workshop
What is yoga?
Gain a greater understanding of the definition of yoga.
Hint: it has nothing to do with flexibility.
How does yoga work?
A fun discussion full of surprises.
- Learn the 7 transformative elements of every posture
- Learn these simple cues that will help you feel comfortable moving into any posture.
- Breath: Discover why the breath is important and how to breathe fully.
- Improve your transitions: Gain an understanding of the basics dynamics that will allow you how to move seamlessly and with ease from one posture to another.
- Props: Your perspective on props will never be the same! Learn how to incorporate them into your practice.
- Flow: Flow through some basic and not-so-basic postures to practice all of the principles you learned.
“Yoga is the ability to direct the mind exclusively toward
an object and sustain that direction without any distractions.”
T. K. V. Desikachar, Author and Yogi
To say Jay is enthusiastic about yoga is an understatement. While he has enjoyed
numerous athletic activities for most of his life, he has always maintained his practice of yoga. Jay received his 200-hour teacher training at Studio Oxygen in Canfield, Ohio, and completed his 500-hour certification with Philip Urso and Stacy Dockins at Live Love Teach in Rhode Island and Texas.
Jay believes in Live Love Teach’s class structure that allows for space and silence, following a specific series of mindful and challenging postures that leaves one feeling exhilarated. This methodology offers the opportunity to get into the direct experience of one’s breathand body and out of the busy-ness of one’s mind. While Jay attempts to embody the principles of yoga in his daily life, he is at his peak while leading a yoga class that incorporates this mindfulness approach.